What is NEIS?
Individuals interested in starting their own business may be eligible to participate in the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS). NEIS is a free training program delivered as part of jobactive. A total of 8,600 places are available around Australia each year, delivered by a network of providers. NEIS providers offer support to turn a good idea into a viable business. NEIS provides people with:
- accredited small business training
- business mentoring and personalised support in the first year of their new business
- income support (NEIS Allowance) for up to 39 weeks (if eligible)
- Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible)
NEIS has been providing assistance to eligible individuals for over 30 years. Read some of our business success stories.
How does the NEIS program work?
- Contact your nearest NEIS provider, who will review your business idea.
- If the NEIS program is suitable to you and your business idea you will be offered a place in a NEIS training program.
- You will participate in FREE full time practical business management training.
- During the NEIS training you will develop a comprehensive business plan.
- Your business plan will be reviewed to determine that it demonstrates a commercially viable business and meets other program criteria.
- Where the business idea is assessed as commercially viable you will be offered 12 months mentoring support and, if eligible, income support to get your business up and running.
For more details, find your nearest NEIS provider with our postcode search tool.
Am I eligible for the NEIS program?
To participate in the NEIS program you will
- Have a business idea you are passionate about
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not be prohibited by law from working in Australia
- Be available to participate in NEIS Training
- Be available to work full-time in your NEIS business
- Have not received NEIS assistance in the past year
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt
Is my business idea eligible for the NEIS program?
The NEIS program is suitable for most small business ideas, contact your nearest NEIS provider to discuss the suitability and eligibility of your business idea.